Turbot with Refrito Sauce
Recipe courtesy of QC’s Seafood Bar & Restaurant, Cahirciveen, Co. Kerry
BIM Seafood Circle
4 x 175g/6oz turbot fillets
120ml/4fl oz olive oil
25g/1oz unsalted butter pinch of sea salt
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 red chilli, seeded and split in half
4 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
FOR THE BUTTER BEAN PURÉE
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
25g/2oz unsalted butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
400g/14oz can butter beans, drained and rinsed
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas 4. To make the butter bean pureé, place the olive oil and butter in a heavy-based pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook over a gentle heat for about 10 minutes until well softened but not coloured, stirring occasionally. Stir in the butter beans and continue to cook for another few minutes until heated through and then whizz to a purée with a hand-blender. Season to taste and keep warm.
- To cook the turbot, set one large or two medium cast-iron frying pans over high heat, and heat until very hot. Add a little olive oil and place the turbot in the pan, skin side up; shake the pan immediately to prevent the fish from sticking. Sear for 1 minute, then turn the fish over onto the skin side and place a small knob of butter on top, sprinkle over the sea salt and place the frying pan in the oven for about 21/2-3 minutes to finish cooking.
- While the fish is cooking, make the refrito sauce: Place the rest of the olive oil in a separate frying pan, add the garlic and chilli; fry gently until the garlic is golden. Place the white wine vinegar in a bowl and add the cooked garlic.
- When the fish is cooked, place the fillets on heated plates. Put the frying pan back on the heat (it should have a little of the oil and juices from cooking the turbot), then add in the refrito sauce, and bring up to a very high temperature, so that the oil and vinegar blend. It will be ready when the oil and vinegar start to bubble but be careful not to let it split.
- Immediately, take off the heat and add the parsley. Spoon over the turbot fillets, and divide out the lovely toasted garlic and chilli. Add some of the butter bean purée to each plate and serve.