Smoked Fish Pie
Cooking Time – 45 mins
4 large potatoes – cooked and mashed
1 kilo fish of choice – i.e. smoked fish, cod, coley, haddock, also prawns, mussels and other shellfish.
½ litre milk
1 leek or 6 spring onions, roughly chopped.
Salt and pepper
1. Heat a little oil or butter in a pan and gently fry leek or spring onions until cooked.
2. Place in an oven proof pie dish. Sprinkle with the cooked leek or spring onion.
4. Use the milk to create a white sauce. Melt the butter over a low heat, and stir in flour gradually. Slowly whisk in the warm milk, and allow to cook over a low heat for a couple of minutes until it has thickened to desired consistency.
5. Pour the sauce over the fish until it is covered. Spread the mashed potatoes over the filling, and score the surface with a fork, which helps to give a crispy topping.
6. Place in the oven and cook for 30 – 45 mins until golden brown.
Serve with fresh vegetables or crisp green salad.
Cooks Notes – A little white wine, wholegrain mustard or grated cheese gives great flavour when mixed through the white sauce.