Crispy Fish Tacos with Chipotle Crema
- Makes 12 small tacos
- Prep time: 35 mins
- Cooke time: 10 mins
To Make The Chipotle Crema:
- 250g plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon chipotle
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
To Make The Fish:
- 650g of any firm white fish, we used cod , cut into 2-inch pieces
- 360g of panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1 egg, whisked
To Assemble The Tacos:
- 12 corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- 2 fresh avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
- optional toppings: chopped fresh cilantro, sliced jalapeños, cheese , sliced radishes, sliced red onions, homemade slaw, sweetcorn, guacamole
- To Make The Chipotle Crema: Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Refridgerate until ready to use.
- To Make The Fish: Heat oven to 190°C/375°F. Spread the panko breadcrumbs out in an even layer on a medium baking tray. Bake for 5-7 minutes, giving the pan a gentle shake halfway through, until the breadcrumbs become golden brown. Transfer the panko to a medium bowl.
- Add chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, pepper to the bowl with the panko, then stir the mixture until combined.
- Then, set up an assembly line with the (1) fish, (2) whisked egg, (3) panko mixture and (4) parchment-covered baking sheet. Dip a piece of fish in the egg so that it is coated on all sides. Then, transfer the fish to the panko mixture and gently press it on so that the fish is coated on all sides. Transfer the fish to the baking sheet. Then repeat the process with the remaining fish.
- Bake the fish for 10 minutes, or until it is cooked through and opaque and flakes easily with a fork. Using a fork, roughly flake the fish into smaller pieces.
- To Assemble The Tacos: Fill a tortilla with a few spoonfuls of slaw, followed by the fish, and any desired toppings of your choice. Drizzle with the chipotle crema and serve immediately.
- You can also serve this dish with some baby potatoes, mexican rice or even some oven chips!