Are you looking for the perfect sauce for your white fish?
Well this is definitely it!
It takes three minutes and only two ingredients!
The secret is browned butter or as the French like to call it Beurre Noisette.
- Place the butter in a light coloured saucepan or small skillet over medium heat.
- Melt butter then leave on the stove, whisking / stirring very now and then. When the butter turns golden brown and it smells nutty – about 3 minutes, remove from stove immediately and pour into small bowl.
- Add lemon juice and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir then taste when it has cooled slightly. Adjust lemon/salt to taste.
- Set aside – it will stay pourable for 20 – 30 minutes. See Note 3 for storing.
While brown butter is simple to make, if it’s on too high a heat, it can go from nutty perfection to burnt in seconds. So here are a few quick tips:
Use a silver based small skillet or pot so you can see when the butter changes colour;
- Don’t try to make the Lemon Butter Sauce in the same skillet as the fish – the pan will be too large.