Flash fried spiced squid with lime and chilli dressing
Cooking time – 10 minutes
400g squid (fresh or frozen)
1 teaspoon Chinese five spice (or spice mix of choice)
½ teaspoon freshly ground cracked black pepper
4 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
Juice and zest of 2 limes
Handful fresh coriander – roughly chopped
2 teaspoons vegetable or sunflower oil
1. Cut squid into thin rings or pieces, approx ¼ cm thick.
2. Place in a plastic bag with the spice and black pepper. Shake well to coat the squid.
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok until very hot.
4. Add the squid and cook quickly, for approximately 30 – 40 seconds.
5. Remove the pan from the heat. Add sweet chilli sauce, lime juice and zest and coriander. Mix together with a spoon or toss quickly to coat the squid in the dressing.
6. Place squid on plates and drizzle with any remaining dressing from the pan. Sprinkle with chopped coriander and serve immediately.
Squid will cook very quickly in a hot pan. If it is cooked for too long it can become tough and chewy.